The Cuckoo's Nest

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Nettle fails to sting

What is it about abortion that turns our legislators - some of them - into puerile idiots, as exemplified by Greens Senator Kerry Nettle giggling like a schoolgirl over her t-shirt slogan "Mr. Abbott, keep your rosaries off my ovaries"? I don't know what score Senator Nettle got for biology if she thinks abortion has something to do with ovaries. And of course the impeccably politically correct Senator would never indulge in religion-based ridicule, would she?

Watching Health Minister Tony Abbott answering the usual inane, hostile buzz of questions at the door of Parliament House (and incidentally, one of the reasons Australia is a great place is that a senior minister in the Federal Government can arrive at Parliament on his racing bike, and go straight into an interview while still in his Lycra), I had to admire the restraint with which he answered the idiotic slurs against his religious affiliation. Playing the game of 'what would I say?', my answer was something like this: "If I were an orthodox Jew - another religion that opposes abortion - would you be trying to paint me as some kind of zealot? Would you even dare to refer to my religion?" (Memo to researcher: find out Islam's position on abortion).

1 Comments:

  • Giggle.

    Actually, it's the same folks who support abortion who obsess about ovaries. They're always pushing Norplant or the Pill on everybody. I swear, they lay awake nights sweating over the fact that all over the world, women are ovulating without permission from the Population Police!

    By Blogger Christina Dunigan, at 5:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home