The Cuckoo's Nest

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Sad clown

News from France that an MP has secured an undertaking from a Japanese paint manufacturer not to close its factory in his departement, by staging a hunger strike. In a country in which riots by a few thousand students and unionists are considered adequate grounds for the reversal of government policy, government-by-hunger-strike suddenly looks almost rational. With the poetic eloquence so characteristic of his nation (or else delirium brought on by malnutrition), MP Jean Lassalle rhapsodized:

"I like the Springtime. It's lovely. I love life, everything about it. I love my family so much. I have no desire to die whatsoever but after nearly 40 days without food I can't stop. Like a sad clown. I'm not asking to win. I'm asking for good sense to triumph."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home